10/06/2007

The Titanic

helloHere is a story that I am in the process of writing, for my composition class:


Tuesday, 9 April 1912
The South Western Hotel
Southampton, England

Dear Diary,
I feel rather a fool for writing down my thoughts, but seeing as my beloved brother Charles gave this diary to me, I am content to feel a fool. He gave me this as a parting gift,
for tomorrow I will be leaving England on the great R.M.S. Titanic, and I’ll be on my way to America, to live with my Aunt Caroline.
I suppose I might state a little bit about myself. My name is Adelaide Gibson, I am thirteen years old, and I am an orphan. My brother is sending me to America, because as he says, I will have a chance to live a better life, and maybe even attend school, for Aunt Caroline happens to be quite wealthy. I have never been to school, nor do I wish to, but Charles has a very persuasive way of saying things, so I have consented, even though I know I will miss him terribly.
You might be wondering how I am able to afford this trip, on such a marvelous ship on her maiden voyage. I am traveling with a lady, Mrs. Douglas, as her companion, all expenses paid, because her husband did not wish her to travel alone. My First impression of Mrs. Douglas was not a pleasant one, for she called me Adie instead of my full name Adelaide, and I detest nicknames, but I have decided that I will be pleasant with her, for it would be a long and gruesome trip if we despised each other.
I have discovered that money is no object to the Douglas’. The hotel we are staying at before our departure is the grandest thing I have ever beheld. I am staying in my own room, which has a bathroom almost the size of the orphanage that I used to live at. The bathtub was simply divine; I have had two long and luxurious baths just because it was there. So many times I have been weeks without a bath since my mother and father died…
There is Mrs. Douglas knocking at my door now, it’s time for dinner.

Later


When I opened my door to leave with Mrs. Douglas to dine at the restaurant, I saw in her hand the most beautiful, extravagant dresses I had ever seen. “ I can’t have you looking like a beggar in those rags you call clothes” and with that she handed me the dresses and told me to come knock on her door when I found myself presentable. I slipped on a creamy yellow colored dress that seemed to have the least amount of lace, but when I tried on the white slippers she had also handed me, my feet constantly slid around because of the silk fabric. I took the beautiful little slippers off and put back on my rugged old boots. They definitely weren’t quite as delicate as the slippers but at least my feet did not slip around, and the dress was long enough so that they were not visible.
I am simply stuffed from the meal that we had. I had never seen such a variety of foods. I am sure that Mrs. Douglas was quite appalled at how downed so much food, and even now I regret it, but I simply could not contain myself.
As I sit here in my hotel room writing, I am gazing out of the window at a breath taking view of the ocean. And As I look I can see the R.M.S. Titanic. I find it quite puzzling how something so massive could float, but there it was, shining in all its glory floating on the calm sparkling waters, waiting to float away on its maiden voyage. I have never been on a boat, and am very excited, but I also am very nervous about seasickness. I do hope so much that I will not be affected much with this illness, for Mrs. Douglas says that the R.M.S. Titanic has three times the splendor of this hotel, which I have difficulty believing so, but if it is true I do not want to be confined to my quarters the whole trip.
I suppose I better get some rest, so that I will be able to rise early and get ready
for our departure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I meant to tell you - good job!